Director of Youth Discipleship
Kent United Methodist Church is seeking a Director of Youth Discipleship to join our staff team. The ideal candidate will be excited about building authentic relationships with youth and their families that model and foster a life of discipleship in accordance with our mission to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
The Director of Youth Discipleship is directly responsible for:
- Overseeing the youth ministry of Kent UMC and directing the implementation of its mission and vision in order to create Space for Grace for all who participate.
- Developing relationships with all KUMC youth and their families to nurture their relationship with Christ.
- Recruiting, disciplining, deploying volunteers to build a web of relationships for each youth with multiple Christian adults in the church.
- Connecting all youth to at least one other ministry of the church.
- Managing youth ministry funds.
- Infusing a joyful and welcoming atmosphere into all youth ministry programs.
The Director of Youth Discipleship will achieve these initiatives by:
- Praying for all KUMC youth and the youth ministry program regularly and facilitating a joyful and welcoming presence within youth ministry in order to create Space for Grace for everyone.
- Prioritizing a ministry of relational presence by attending community and school events involving KUMC youth whenever possible, providing appropriate follow-up to first-time visitors and absentee students, and by being visibly available within other facets of ministry within the church and community.
- Providing leadership for all programmatic pieces of the ministry including, but not limited to, Sunday School, youth group, fundraisers, seasonal events, retreats, confirmation, and mission trips.
- Protecting the strategic progress of youth discipleship by maintaining and providing oversight to a leadership team that assists with youth ministry through routine evaluation of the health of the ministry; volunteer recruitment, training, and placement; calendaring of major events; aiding in the selection of curriculum and teaching templates; and setting short and long-term goals (updated annually) based on the ministry’s mission and values.
- Providing training, resources, spiritual support and encouragement to the volunteers and paid staff working within youth ministry.
- Ensuring that news, key information and priorities of the student ministry are communicated clearly to youth, parents and leaders through all electronic, social and print media.
- Working with the pastor and other church staff in developing and leading programs to incorporate youth in all phases of the life and worship of the church.
- With the assistance of a leadership team, developing an annual student ministry budget that includes anticipated revenue and expenses for each event.
Education—4 year college degree, preferably in related field
Experience—prefer 3 years of successful Youth Ministry work
Compensation—commensurate with experience
Job Type—up to 32 hours per week
Application—send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail:
Kent United Methodist Church
Attention: Susan Kipper
11010 SE 248th St
Kent WA 98030
Deadline—March 29, 2017